Product Data Management (PDM), Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Supply Chain Management (SCM), Customer Relationship Management (CRM), E-commerce (Electronic Commerce, EC) Technology is an indispensable part of the life cycle management of manufacturing companies. The following briefly describes the relationship between them.
1. Relationship between PLM and PDM
As mentioned above, PLM is a technology that manages all product-related data throughout its lifecycle. It is developed on the basis of PDM and is an extension of the function of PDM. PDM is mainly aimed at the product development process, emphasizing the management of engineering data. Its application is also carried out around the engineering design department. The document management function of PDM is only to manage the design documents related to product structure and design process; while PLM manages the whole product. All documentation from concept generation to final elimination throughout the lifecycle. It can be said that PLM contains all the contents and functions of PDM. However, PLM also emphasizes the concept of managing and utilizing all information across the supply chain during the product life cycle, which is the essential difference between it and PDM.
The PLM concept is broader than PDM, rich in connotation, and more adaptable. It can be widely used in enterprises in the process industry, large-scale production enterprises, single-piece small-volume production enterprises, enterprises with project-centred manufacturing, and even software. Development company. Different companies have different needs for PLM. Some companies focus on the concept design of front-end and market analysis data management; some companies focus on the management of detailed design and process design data; while others focus on after-sales maintenance and repair data. Management.
Due to the relationship between PLM and PDM, there is virtually no PLM software vendor with a new look. Most PLM systems come from some of the original PDM software vendors who have developed PLM systems and their solutions, successfully implementing the transformation from PDM to PLM, such as EDS, PTC, IBM. Of course, there are also ERP software vendors, such as SAP has proposed its own ERP-based PLM solution.
2.The relationship between PLM (PDM) and ERP
The ERP system is based on production management and planning management. The main functions are designed for enterprise-level resource management. They generally include the bill of materials, production plan outline, main production plan, rough capacity demand plan, material demand plan, and shop floor management. , inventory management, financial management, customer order management and human resources planning.
The functions of both PLM and ERP have gradually expanded, forming some functional intersections, including bill of materials, parts classification, component information, configuration management, business processes and product structure. Among them, product structure management is the most overlapping function. The product structure is the core of PLM. It is mainly for product design and how it is configured, reflecting the design view of product development. The product structure is also the core of the ERP system, which defines the assembly process of parts and parts in the workshop, mainly reflecting the planning view of product information. It is oriented to materials and production processes.
PLM and ERP are complementary relationships. ERP focuses on the internal resource management of the enterprise. It can manage the production, supply, sales, people, finances and materials of the enterprise. The products are manufactured and provided to the users according to the order, but the ERP does not consider the problem of the data source. PLM can solve the problem of data sources, including market data, design data, process data, maintenance data, etc., especially to solve the problem of BOM information source of products. ERP itself can only be manually maintained for the BOM. PLM can combine design data and T-Art data, convert E-BOM into M-BOM, and then automatically lead to ERP system.
There are several application plug-ins in the PLM system, which realizes the management of market data, research and development projects, design data, process data and after-sales service. Some ERP systems also function forward, with PLM modules, but primarily for material-related data. The data managed by PLM is broader and more professional than ERP management, including data, drawings, documents, and 3D models of user requirements.
- Product structure is the basic skeleton of information flow between PLM and ERP. Due to the complexity of product structure process, enterprises require the use of comprehensive information technology to manage different views of product structure throughout the product life cycle, such as “design” and “ Planning, manufacturing, and maintenance use the product structure to integrate PLM and ERP. While the PLM system can store any view of the product structure, BOM information for manufacturing and repair is often processed in the ERP system.
- ERP should determine the production plan based on the actual Ting single and the forecast for the market. The relevant modules of PLM can collect the customer’s demand information about the product, obtain the customer’s requirements for the product function, and determine which parts of the product can be improved. If the information collected and analyzed by PLM can be passed to ERP, the ERP market sales module can accurately predict. This is another point of integration between the two.
- By implementing the integration of PLM and ERP, users of ERP system can easily query the configuration of the product according to the code of the product at any time, retrieve what modifications have been made to the product, and which functions are updated, so that product information can be guaranteed. accuracy.
- By realizing the integration of ERP and PLM, the maintenance service department can inquire the assembly relationship, assembly sequence and parameters of each component at the time of product maintenance and maintenance, and effectively manage the records of maintenance service. This greatly improves the quality of the repair service of the product.
|Concept||Description on Management|
|ERP||1. ERP is a management information system for the supply chain, which is based on the internal supply and demand chain.|
Realize information integration within the enterprise
2. Core functions of ERP: MRPII
3. ERP system is closely related to enterprise business process reengineering (BPR)
4. Improve the efficiency, accuracy, timeliness and security of the internal information flow and business flow of the enterprise, enhance the rapid response of the enterprise to the outside, and the flexibility of internal production.
|SCM||1. Integration of external resources for enterprises, emphasizing the win-win principle of enterprise resource supply planning|
2. Dynamic resource integration for “specific projects”, reflecting the ideas of lean production, concurrent engineering and agile manufacturing engineering and agile manufacturing
3. Emphasis on management of logistics and inventory between enterprises
4. Pay attention to “business outsourcing”
|eBusiness||1. New business model, business activities are fast, convenient, low cost and automated|
2. Shorten the difference in business activities brought by regional space, enhance interaction and real-time
3. Rapid market response, information collection and processing and customer service system
|PDM||1. PDM enterprise information integration framework to support data management restructuring in product development|
2. Data management includes all product-related data and is a bridge for enterprise information integration.
3. The core is to share product data with people involved in product development projects.
3.Integration framework of EC enterprises
The concept of PLM is proposed by enterprises after the application of single tools such as CAD, CAM, CAE, etc., enterprises are increasingly generating the need to connect individual technologies. Further, the information generated by single technology applications is connected. .
As a concept built on the life cycle management of enterprise products, PLM is the integration of existing CAD/CAM, CAE, PDM, ERP and other systems, covering and regulating the whole process of product design, testing and manufacturing. PLM is an advanced management concept that modern enterprises face customers and markets and quickly reorganize the organizational structure, business processes and resource allocation in each life cycle of products to maximize the overall benefits.
CRM, ERP, PDM and SCM are information systems that adapt to modern enterprise product development and business processes.
ERP and CRM are tightly integrated. The CRM process generates customer needs through effective activities, identifies potential customers, manages marketing; grasps sales opportunities by quickly completing the sales process, and completes sales management by CRM; by performing contracts, shipping goods for sale, completed by ERP; Customer service and support, management support and services are performed by CRM.
From the perspective of product innovation, the following four management information systems exist in different stages of the manufacturing enterprise product life cycle.
- PLM: Life cycle information management with product development management as the core.
- SCM: The supply chain is a sequence of suppliers, warehouses, operations and retail channels. The SCM system optimizes product cost and value. It is primarily used for manufacturing services.
- CRM: The system can timely obtain customer needs and provide services to customers.
- ERP: It manages the import, sale and storage of enterprises.
It can be seen that ERP, SCM, CRM enterprise management information systems can simplify and improve various business rules, but these systems do not have much impact on improving the core functions of the manufacturer’s product development process.
Therefore, in the four systems of enterprise informationization, PLM is the basis of enterprise informationization. Enterprise application systems (such as CAx, ERP, SCM, CRM, etc.) rely on PLM and integrate information through PLM. All business data of the enterprise is integrated into the PLM according to the unified product definition information and process model; all relevant departments of the enterprise can obtain information services through PLM.
Regarding the difference between PLM and ERP, PLM focuses on the management of product knowledge, and the management of ERP occurs in the actual production stage of enterprise products.